Thursday, December 1, 2011

movie critics are stupid

I think movie critics are stupid. Why would you think that you might ask? Well I was tricked into seeing the movie Hugo last week and I personally thought it was a horrid piece of refuse that shouldn’t even be shown as torture. Ok maybe it wasn’t all that bad but it was terrible. I kind of just want to say that and be done but due to my extensive schooling I feel inclined to explain my grievances with the movie in a logical and ordered fashion. Well here goes, first the movie was too long I don't have the exact running time but it is about two hours and ten minutes of drivel. The same story could have been told better in at the most an hour and forty five minutes and that is really stretching it. My next grievance has to do with a personal rule I have it goes something like this "DON'T TELL PEOPLE ABOUT YOUR CREEPY DREAMS" notice I didn't say dreams I said creepy dreams. Normal dreams are the heart and soul of the human experience; you know the brain runs through all the stuff that happened in the day with a little imagination and long term memory thrown in to spice things up. But then there are the creepy dreams, just a jumble of crazy junk that doesn't make any sense and kinda creeps you out because you think where the heck did that come from. Those are the ones you keep to yourself and try to forget, and definitely don’t make a movie about ah'hem. There was a dream in the movie and all the clips of old movies directed by one of the characters that were just strange. Oh that's another thing just because something is an official movie you know with a producer and actors and theaters and stuff that doesn't make it good it can still be a piece of crap. Anyway back to Hugo the movie started out extremely slow like a snails pace and the story was all jumbled and the pauses were just too long as to be irritating at every turn, it is like "yes I get the point that this is an important choice or sequence but it really doesn't need to last this long, and yes the train station is pretty and the artists spent a long time on it but move the dang camera a little bit faster Mr. Molasses camera. I blame the whole slowness on the director. Get on with the story. If I wanted to see the set I will buy the special edition. The story was predictable in all the usual places things like the antagonist that has a secret past and turns out good and a mean character ends up being not so bad which is great, crazy twists and turns are wonderful, but predictable repetitiveness it wonderful too if it is done in a creative way. In Hugo it is drawn out like the people watching it had never heard of a plot twist before. The movie did pick up at the end in plot speed and interestingness and ended rather well considering the garbage we had to sit through to get there. For the art and acting of the movie I would give this a 3 of 5 but for the directing and the movie as a whole I give less than 1½ of 5. Which brings me back to my title point that critics are idiots, I read on rotten tomatoes that they gave it an aggregate score of 94%. 94% for crying out loud, those kinds of scores are reserved for major heavyweights like Moon and Captain America. Ok that is all I have to whine about right now goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment